Monday, June 18, 2012

Life interference: no penalty!

It is 12:45am EST, June 19th, 2012, which makes today the eighth anniversary of my marriage to a woman who will never figure out that she's too good for me.

We should be celebrating. Eight years ago we sure were; the party started at about 5pm the day before the wedding and lasted a good forty hours or so. But all is quiet in the house of Benson tonight. I have insomnia, as usual, and will be very slow to rise in the morning. My wife went to bed early, because she has to get up at 5:30 to drive herself to the nearest town big enough to support a full-time dentist, where she will undoubtedly have something very unpleasant done to her teeth. I'd drive her there myself, but I'm still recovering from back surgery and under doctor's orders not to operate a motor vehicle, sit up in a chair, cough, breathe too deeply, or blink; I'll bore you with the hows & whys concerning this predicament at a later date.

Yes, unfortunately Mrs. Benson will have dental work done on her wedding anniversary, and then, because it is a weekday, she will come home to a full day of orders, invoices, phone calls, and all of the other shenanigans involved in keeping the family business thriving. Her grouchy and semi-invalid husband has an exciting and complicated new story under development, which means he'll likely be unavailable and mono-syllabic for much of the working day. The sad truth is that I'm probably putting down more words in this blog entry than I will say to my darling wife for the entirety of the upcoming 9-5.

This isn't the way wedding anniversaries are supposed to go. If this were a hockey game, there would be a two-minute call for interference. Life would have to go sit in the penalty box.

But when work-time is over, we're gonna tear it up for sure. Very carefully, of course. Because of my back. In fact, there probably won't be much excitement at all.

Grrr...

I declare to the world my undying love for my wife on this, the eighth anniversary of our marriage. Next year will be better. We'll have a huge party, and you're all invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an open forum. Whether you like what you see here or hate it, tell us what you think, and why! Only blatant abuse and excessive profanity will be censored.