Saturday, March 30, 2013

Boys Is Easier

After a brief hiatus, during which I have arrived at and (thus far) successfully navigated several significant turning points in my life, I triumphantly return! To my millions of loyal readers I offer apology for my absence. Forgiveness is assumed.

___


"A boy, zat's good!" the frenchman exclaimed, and behind his silver moustache his face creased in a broad grin. "You'll be happy. Boys is easier."

"Really?" I asked, though I didn't doubt him.

"Ha! Over a girl, I would take to raise four boys at once! Boys is easier. You can trust me; I had one of each."

Maybe it was the tense preference, maybe just a strange undertone in his cheerful sandy voice, but somehow I knew there was more, and the storyteller in me wanted details. I couldn't help myself.

"Had?" I asked him.

"My daughter is dead two years ago; a car accident."

"I'm sorry for your loss," I said, and I was, but consoling those who have lost beloved pets on a weekly basis has turned delivery of that line into a well-honed performance for me. "That's terrible," I added, hoping to add a little substance.

He shrugged. "It is what it is. She grew up to be a happy woman. I still have my son. I love them both as much as ever. But when she was zeventeen, ha! Did we fight? You wouldn't believe! No, boys is easier. You'll be happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an open forum. Whether you like what you see here or hate it, tell us what you think, and why! Only blatant abuse and excessive profanity will be censored.